Saturday 1 July 2017

Lancers Completed


A number of domestic issues have meant that progress has been slow of late, however I have at last managed to complete the squadron of French line lancers started some while back. These are from the 5th Regiment with interesting light blue facings, they are all from adapted Helmet kits with a variety of horses most of which are Ebay purchases.
I did a fair amount of research on this arm of service, and as is often the case, the resulting evidence is confusing - to me at least. Most sources suggest that the second rank were armed with sabre and carbine, not with a lance. This seems to be based on the reasoning that a lance is pretty much useless in a melee, so the second rank would support their lance carrying colleagues, This makes some sense I think, but I cannot understand how such a regiment would manoeuvre on the battlefield or move about in column of route. So I have compromised with the elite company all have lances while the remainder of the company are "half and half." Ant thoughts gratefully received.

The final picture shows work in progress on a French general of heavy cavalry and his ADC. These are from a variety of bits and pieces including Historex and Helmet kits and metal heads and one sword picked up at toy soldier shows.

Thanks if you have read this, please feel free to leave a comment, next up some Italeri hussars.

Eric

16 comments:

  1. Great stuff again Eric. How close are you to your target of figures for the battle - are you aiming for the 250th anniversary?😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill,
      I plan to have the battle next summer, my son the teacher will be available then. I've gone a bit mad on French cavalry of late, have now in excess of 170 figures, which also means I have passed the 500 total for the French army. I need to focus on the Allies soon as well as completing that damned farm. It seems I've been painting Napoleonics for ever!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Bill,
      I plan to have the battle next summer, my son the teacher will be available then. I've gone a bit mad on French cavalry of late, have now in excess of 170 figures, which also means I have passed the 500 total for the French army. I need to focus on the Allies soon as well as completing that damned farm. It seems I've been painting Napoleonics for ever!

      Delete
    3. Blooming teachers, eh, with their long holidays!😉 What figures have you used for the French line infantry - there seem to be loads for light infantry/grenadiers but not for the line infantry. Just wondered if you've used the Call To Arms figures and how they measure up to HaT etc. As other sets (apart from the British) seem on the small side.

      Delete
    4. Yes, lazy so-and-so's, actually he works very hard as I'm sure do you. As per French line figures, I use a fair old mix, Hat, Italeri, CTS (Mexicans), BMC (again Mexicans) and a few ACTA. You can view this hotchpotch on an earlier Blog in this series - A place in the country. I'm hopeful about the expected Expeditionary Force figures, but fear they might be 60mm - hope this helps. Eric

      Delete
    5. I bought some of their "54mm" Zulus - nice, if expensive figures but they look like gigantic bodybuilders alongside the ACTA and AIP Zulus!

      Delete
    6. Absolutely agree, the Son bought some of their Hundred Years War figures, very nice detail, well engineered but large (huge) so fitted in with nothing else he had so gave up. Shame. I suspect (although I hope not) the same with their Napoleonics........

      Delete
    7. Strange really - they must know that most collectors will already have figures from HaT, Italeri, AIP, ACTA etc in their collections and, because their figures are pretty expensive, people probably won't be buying loads of them, particularly if they don't fit in size wise. Doesn't make sense to me, particularly as there are some obvious gaps in the market e.g. French line infantry, foot dragons etc which seems to be what they intend to bring out!

      Delete
    8. Absolutely agree. Here's hoping........

      Delete
    9. Steve Weston's got a picture of the first set of French infantry on his website - some mention of a price increase as well! Figures do look nice though!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, will check them out now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing that damned farm when it's done.

    Outstanding work, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great and impressive work Eric! Due to your amazing skills and great Helmet figures! The Lancers have been on my list since..For way too long! I still regularly visit your helmet soldiers blog although it has been quiet there it still feeds inspiration! By chance i found this blog which makes me thrilled, I Will check out all the other great works too!

    Best regards,
    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stan, many thanks for your kind words, Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your collection is marvellous! I first have to go through a lot of figures, HaT Italeri and so on...I got a lot of conversion inspiration from your blog! When I will move to painting more cavalry, Helmet soldiers is on top of my list!

      Please check out my blog too! I just started with it, without expectations..Pure for the joy of sharing the toy soldier love!

      Warm regards,

      Stan

      Delete